A point of sale (POS) system for a bar or nightclub has a direct impact on customer service. The type of POS system you choose can either enhance or hinder workflow, which affects customer loyalty and your bottom line. As a bar or nightclub owner or operator, you also need to make sure your POS system can meet your needs for inventory tracking, sales reports and staff management. Here are three mistakes to avoid when choosing a POS system so you can get the most value for your bar or nightclub out of your technology investment.
Mistake #1: Not choosing a POS specifically for bars
There are many POS choices out there but which one is right for you? Your business is about optimizing customer service and satisfaction as well as profits and operations. The system you choose should be designed specifically for bars and nightclubs and be able to:
- Manage liquor inventory effectively
- Help bartenders easily look up drink recipes at the touch of a button
- Feature multiple tab options for opening and closing customer tabs
- Process fast and secure credit card transactions
Settling for a POS system without the functionality you need could mean customer service and visibility is lacking and profits are going down the drain.
Mistake #2: Neglecting to think about theft and security
Total revenue loss for bars across the country is more than $7 billion each year due to shrinkage and fines for underage sales. Your choice of POS should have these key features:
- Built in inventory management software that can help prevent loss by monitoring over pours, product cost analysis, comp and void breakdown, free drink giveaways and employee theft
- Integrated ID verification system to make it easier when checking customer IDs, to prevent your staff from serving alcohol to minors, a serious and costly offense
Mistake #3: Not considering plans for the future
Completing tasks via mobile devices is becoming the standard for many businesses. It is not only convenient, but a smart way to help you manage your bar from a remote location. Whether you take advantage of these options now or plan to in the future, consider choosing a POS system with cloud-based management and reporting capabilities that allow you to:
- Access inventory volumes, reports and staff information all from a tablet or smartphone
- Use tablets for customer checkout — giving your bartenders or servers a mobile option for drink orders and closing tabs, which helps cut down long waiting lines at the bar
Investing in the right POS system for your bar or nightclub is an important decision that will impact your business’ operations and profitability. The experts at Sync POS are ready to offer advice to help you get the most ROI from your new POS system purchase.